This is a quote that transcends denomination and speaks a great truth about the current gospel climate in the western world. We as the Church have not effectively sown gospel seeds in the midst of our culture. We have not exposed people to the message of Christ, yet we expect to see an evangelistic harvest from out of our culture.
I have shared the gospel with thousands of people over the past 12 years either one-to-one or in mass through crusades and revivals. I have walked away from many of these encounters with a sense of disappointment due to the fact that I did not see a harvest. As I reflect on that fact, I have come to realize that I need not be disappointed. Why?
- I have done what was required of me by obediently sharing the message of Christ. (See Ezekiel 3:19)
- I may be one link in the chain of witnesses that eventually leads to salvation for that person.
- I cannot see how the Holy Spirit is working in the life of the hearer.
- The Word of God will never return void.
We should make every attempt to intentionally sow gospel seeds as we go about our daily lives. Here are a few suggestions that you can incorporate into your life to sow seeds.
- Build a relationship with those around you who don't know Christ with the aim of sharing the good news.
- Carry and distribute gospel tracts or witnessing cards with you. Give them to cashiers, servers, people you meet on the street or anyone else that God places in your path. Say something like, "Here is an encouraging little book of wisdom that I just read, perhaps you will enjoy it too."
- If you are allowed to play music at your workplace, then play Christian music.
- Wear Christian apparel whenever you can. A good Christian Shirt can spark a conversation.
- When eating at a sit down restaurant, always ask your server for prayer requests before you pray for your meal. You would be surprised how many spiritual conversations this will lead to.
- Invite co-workers, friends and neighbors to special events at your church such as Christmas Cantatas and so forth. Treat them to dessert after the performance and talk about what you have just enjoyed together.
- A friend of mine has memorized the spiritual meanings of hundreds of names. When he meets someone new, he tells them what their name means and turns it into a gospel conversation.
- Give out CD's of your pastors best message to people.
Imagine the impact upon the kingdom if believers begin to practice this seed sowing in their daily lives.